With the summer nearing its end, it may be time to start changing over your closets from summer clothes to autumn clothes. In an effort to help make this change as easy as possible for you, the good people over at Seventh Generation, have compiled 5 simple steps to help you clean out and switch over your summer closet for an autumn one.
Changing Over Closets for a New Season
As seasons change, so do your clothing needs. Now’s the time to clean, sort, store and organize so your clothes, shoes & accessories are ready to go as new weather rolls in. It’s also a great time to give your closet space a deep clean before you fill it back up! Tackle closet changes in 5 easy steps:
- Separate into 2 piles – ‘keep’ & ‘donate’: Go through all of your drawers, shelves, shoes and hanging space and separate items into two piles – those you’ll want to keep and those you no longer have use for. Bag up anything that can be donated and bring to your local donation center.
- Store seasonal items in bins: For the clothes and shoes you plan on keeping but won’t wear this season, store them in air-tight containers or bags – clearly marked so you know what’s what when they’re ready to join your closet again. Make sure items are clean before packing!
- Clean your closet: Now’s a great time to give your closet space a deep clean. Vacuum the floor, wipe off shelves to remove dust & grime, and toss any broken hangers.
- Unpack and wash: Last year’s stored items will likely need a refresh before being added back to your closet. Unpack containers and wash those that do need it with a gentle detergent. Iron out wrinkles from time spent in storage.
- Try it on: Before putting everything away, try on the seasonal clothes you’ve just brought out. Make sure things fit well and are free of any damage. Hang or fold and you’re good to go!